Do you worry that you “can’t write”? I’m fond of saying that if you can talk, you can write. To get results from your words, focus on clarity—know what you want to say, so that you can say it clearly, for your intended audience.
Always keep your audience in mind. To get results, you’re always writing for one person—even if you hope your self-published book will be read by thousands.
Writing for one person helps if you want to get results. After all, it’s always one person who’s reading your email, your profile, or your book.
The person (audience) might be your:
- Next door neighbor, who turns his music up to full volume at midnight;
- Boss, who promised you a raise three years ago;
- New client, to welcome him to your business;
- Potential reader, who’s interested in your book, and is reading your nonfiction or fiction blurb on Amazon.
Talking is natural, but when it comes to writing, you can freeze up. Writing needs to be as natural as chatting to someone.
To get results and remove all fear of writing, make it natural
How do you make writing natural?
- Practicing, by writing every day—I’m fond of journaling for many reasons, mostly because it makes it easier and less confronting to get results. It also tames writing resistance;
- Following a process which is your go-to, to write anything at all. The process starts by describing the project, to yourself, in your own words: it’s essential to know the project and how you intend to get results;
- Mining your creative self, so that ideas come easily.
Get results when you write to persuade, inform, entertain, and sell
If writing is hard for you, and you need to get results from your writing, I hope my new class will help—Writing Means Business: Write To Persuade, Inform And Sell.
In four weeks, you’ll discover writing to get results. At the end of those weeks, all your writing will be much less intimidating, especially if you think that you can’t write.
Watch for the class. Although it’s primarily for business writers, it’s also for anyone who wants to write easily and well—and get results.
Freelance Power: Turn Words Into A Brilliant Writing BusinessWhether you’re a new freelancer or are an established pro, gigs are out there and you can get them. Freelance Power: If You Can Write, You Can Make Money is a 12-week coaching course for new and established writers. In 12 weeks, you’ll build the writing business you want. You’ll have no ceiling on your income. I’ll be with you every step of the way. Get started building a brilliant, fun writing business today, or revamp your existing business. The gigs are out there.
You CAN write. It doesn’t matter why you think you can’t. You can write, and writing will become easy for you.
More info →
Sell more of your writing: For high-powered success these days, you need to be VISIBLE, whether it's on the Web, or on Amazon. Being visible demands that you become prolific.More info →
You're a writer. You need to make money from your words. What if you could create AND sell a nonfiction book in just a day?
This book will show you how to think outside the box, get creative — and SELL what you create. Making money from your writing can be a real challenge, especially if you're limiting yourself to trading hours for dollars. When you get paid by the hour, even if you're making $200 an hour, you're limited.More info →
Copywriter and marketing pro Angela Booth maintains a busy copywriting and ghostwriting practice. Fascinated by online marketing, she wrote one of the first business books for internet marketing, published by Allen & Unwin. She’s been an enthusiastic blogger since the late 1990s.