Are you thinking of writing a novella? Your questions about short fiction in general, and novellas in particular, inspired me to create the novella series of articles; the articles are free reads.
Novella series: current articles
You can read the first two articles in the novella series now.
- Write A Novella: Want To Write Short Fiction? (Novella Series 1)
- Writing Short Fiction: How To Develop Characters (Novella Series 2)
In upcoming articles we’ll cover these topics:
- Plotting novellas and other short fiction;
- Story beginnings;
- KDP Select and novellas;
- From short story to novella; and more.
Vital: if you’re a self-publishing author, and you’re NOT publishing novellas, you’re leaving money on the table.
What can you do with the novellas you write in a week?
The ability to write a novella in a week gives you many opportunities.
- You can write and sell your novellas outright, if you need a quick injection of cash. This is a form of fiction ghostwriting;
- Of course you can publish novellas just as you would any other book. A novella’s very useful to revive a series which has gone stale, or to kick off a new series;
- Why not compile a couple of your novellas into a book, so you have another book to sell?
By the way… I don’t recommend giving away your novellas as freebies. Price them as you would any other book. The days when freebies ruled are gone.
I love writing novellas. They’re a fun and profitable addition to your writing toolbox.
If you write fiction, you may not know this secret…Did you know that short story of 5,000 words can make more money than a 60,000 word novel?
Check out Your Short Fiction Formula: The Easiest-Ever Writing Process (Workshop) to discover a process which makes writing short stories easy and FUN.
If you’re self-publishing, you may be aware that savvy authors use short fiction (short stories and novellas) to generate sales and income quickly.Explore Your Short Fiction Formula: The Easiest-Ever Writing Process now. You’ll be glad you did.
Publicity And Marketing Magic For Writers: How To Build Your Writing Platform And Sell More Every Day
Write, and publish, and promote your writing... You can change your life as a writer in an hour, when you discover the art of publicity and platform.More info →
Your books aren't selling. You've done everything right, but you may have missed an essential element of bestselling fiction...
That element is suspense.More info →
If you don't ADORE your life, you can change it — more easily than you can imagine. And you can do it in just ten minutes.
More info →
Copywriter and marketing pro Angela Booth maintains a busy copywriting and ghostwriting practice. Fascinated by online marketing, she wrote one of the first business books for internet marketing, published by Allen & Unwin. She’s been an enthusiastic blogger since the late 1990s.